Pages

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Everything in it's place and a place for every thing.

...and if you can make it cute, all the better. (.....you can quote me on that.)

I think a long time ago I shared with you that I collect greeting cards when I find ones I like, and I store them  in a lil' basket so I am ready at a moments notice with the perfect card for the right person,at just the right time... but I never actually showed it to you.

It started years ago with me accumulating a few extra cards...and a few more...and...well, at some point in time I realized I had so many cards that I needed to actually file them by event, so I could find them as I needed them. You know, birthdays, Christmas, Blank, etc... and that has worked really well for me. When ever I see a card I like, I buy it and put it in my card file so I will have it when I need it.

That was the original plan anyway. (And we all know what they said about the best laid plans...)

Over time, I have gotten sloppy, rushing in and plopping the latest cards into the front of the basket, thinking I'd put it in the correct category it later. After doing this a million and six a few times, I managed to create a pretty unorganized basket of cards. Something needed to be done, and I decided that today was that day.

As long as I was going to the trouble to reorganize, I might as well update the look of my system, I thought. Seriously, I am so over the hot-pink-with-screaming-taxi-cab-yellow labels I had created in the early 90's (I think this must have been around the time I was busy puff painting over-sized Tee shirts and sporting really big hair...)
I decided to go with a simple look, using my favorite old typewriter font. I printed my dividers on manilla folders that I cut to be the size of a sheet of computer paper.
All I did was set up 2 columns in WORD, and printed my paper in "Landscape". I cut the paper in half once it was printed and I was ready to put them in place. Within a few minutes I was back to being organized, and it all looked clean, tidy, and cute.

Now, let's see if I can keep it this way.


5 comments:

  1. Doesn't it feel good to get things "in order"! After seeing this I looked across the room at my card collection. I make cards and have an over-abundance of them. Some are as they should be but I have a big pile flopped on top of the see-through box. Maybe I can file those today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I think it's time for me to tackle my disorganized piles of cards. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like that idea. I have a metal basket of cards on the desk with postage to encourage me to write cards. Everyone loves mail now that we have gone to email and facebook! I may try this soon. Where did you get the typewriter font?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must be a really awful person but now I keep cards one year then out they go....except from my kids. It just became a stash that I never went through that added clutter. The start of each year is out with the old and in with the new....until next Jan.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've commented before, but I've been reading and enjoying your blog for years. I had to laugh today when I saw your old file system for cards - it looks so familiar! I used to have a home-based business back in the day and I used that same font on practically everything! I loved it! And I thought I was pretty hot in my oversized sweatshirt that I puff painted angels on and wore with lace leggings (and big hair) at Christmas! Thanks for representing us ladies so well!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...