Pages

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Fifty may be the new forty, but it's a full time job.

I'm going to be...ehem...celebrating my fifty-fifth birthday this coming December, and that means there is no more denying it...I will have to admit that I am in my mid-fities. No more will I be able to cling to the "early-fifties" title, and, truth be told, I am pretty okay with it, for the most part. 

I mean, life is good these days. I like my job, and I focus on doing what makes me happiest. Where I am having a bit of a struggle is in the area of health, wellness, fashion, and fitness. That is to say,I am at times caught off guard by that girl I see looking back at me in the mirror.

One of my best girlfriends told me recently that this is the age when we should start adding a couple of years to our ages when asked, so people are impressed at just how good we look for our age.(She has coined the term " Plus 2" for this and claims it works great for age or clothing sizes...)

Yes, the place where things most dramatically change as we enter and progress though our fi..fi..fif..fifties. It's our appearance, and our health.

Oh, and maybe a little bit of our short term memory. I find myself wondering why I came into a room in the house and have to retrace my steps back to the point I started at so that I might be able to remember why it was I had gone to the other room in the first place.

Now, where was I? (Let me go back and re-read what I wrote so that I can remember....)


Ehem...As I was saying, the older we get, the more obvious the extreme differences are in appearance and health in our age group. There are women in their 50's that remind me of Opey's Aunt Bee..
 and, at the opposite end of the spectrum,there are lady cougars like those gals on the Real Housewives of the O.C.
Trust me here, I live in the real world a pretty good portion of my day, and I know I am not going to achieve the Real Housewife status of outward beauty, but I also can assure you that I do not aspire to be anyone's Aunt Bee.(God bless Francis Bavier, I am sure she was a wonderful gal. I just don't wanna look like her.)

This being said, it ain't easy trying to be cute morning, noon and night, at this stage of life. It takes more time and effort to maintain...everything.

Manufacturers are more than happy to come to our aid with a massive assortment of creams and lotions, procedures, and various little hand held machines all designed to help us look our optimal best. I for one am an easy target for these items, since I am an eternal optimist and believe in miracles. (If only I could find the time to use all of this stuff. Poor, poor Jillian Michaels stares a disapproving hole through me from her DVD case each morning as I run around getting ready for work, promising her that tomorrow I will make time for her, really, truly, I will.) 

I am enjoying the freedom that comes with being the age I am,however I have to admit that I am slightly time management challenged. (Either that or I need an additional three hours in my day so as to be able to use things like the supposedly incredible little face machine.)

That, coupled with the fact that I haven't found an exercise activity I love, or at the very least, don't dread.(Never say never, 'coz the next sport I'd like to give a try at is golf...and it just might be "my thing". We'll see.)


Then, there is the issue of age appropriate fashion. I want to look "hip" (oh Gawd, does that word date me?)but I don't want to look like I'm trying to be twenty four.


I guess you can see by my seemingly mindless rambling on this topic of attempting to age gracefully (and trying my best to stay active...and cute, at the same time.)that this has been weighing heavily on my mind of late. It occurred to me that if I am obsessing thinking about it, maybe many of my ...ehem...similarly aged girl pals online here may be spending a fair amount of time pondering it as well. 

That made me think of Cindy...and I am sure you know Cindy. (Let me interject right here that I am pea green with envy over Cindy's fit and fabulous upper arms, and I am dying to know her secret. I only pray that her secret isn't being born with good genes.)

Cindy and I have been online friends since...when? 2006 I think. We actually met in person a couple of times at fairs. (and wouldn't you know it, neither of us had the foresight to get a picture of us together either time!)It turns out that she lives very near my Dad, so I am sure next time I make my way to northern California, we will try and connect again.
Now, Cindy is a few years younger than me, but still in her oh-let's-make-them-fabulous fifties. (She's even got a new blog dedicated to this very topic!Check it out right here.) She has recently discovered mountain biking, hiking, and ...gasp!....Fitness Bootcamp. 

Here is a girl that can share some real insight for all of us on how to go for the golden ring and make the most of our age, whether it be thirty one, or fifty five...or seventy eight. Thinking about Cindy gave me the brilliant idea to interview her and get her perspective on things.

Cindy has some great information, insight, and inspiration for us all. So...without further adieu, let's get this party started, shall we?
me:Thanks so much for sharing your insights, Cindy! You know we have a lot in common. We're both single girls in our 50's who love to decorate, cook, blog and who knows what all else. What has been the biggest surprise for you as you enter your fabulous fifties? 
    
50 and fabulous Cindy:The biggest surprise is that I like it, I'm actually enjoying it!  I still don't feel 50 and I'm about to turn 51 in September!   This sounds so cliche but I've realized that it's all in how you look at things...you have a choice...you can be depressed that you're 50 or you can enjoy it!  I remember when I turned 40, I woke up that morning and cried!  That seems so silly now, 40 is so young! When I turn 60 I want to look back and say "Wow, my fifties were some of the best years of my life"  It's all about your attitude and we are the ones in control of our own attitude! 
 

me: I've gotta say that I love your attitude Cindy. You've got it right. What sparked the inspiration in you to become more physically active?  
               
50 and fabulous Cindy:The fear of being "over the hill" is what did it.  You see two types of people over fifty; the type that slows down and grows old or the type that is fit and active and although they are still 50 they look amazing.  I used to look at the second type and wish I could be like them.  It was sort of a "light-bulb moment" for me.  I realized I could be that type of person...I just had to do it!!!   It's more work but it can be done. I'm still not where I want to be but I'm in a much better place than I was when I weighed 50+ lbs more and got no exercise!  Also, I saw my mom's health deteriorate over the last 25 years because she wasn't active. My mom passed away this year and it was very hard on me. I really realized how important it is to stay active as we get older! If you want quality-of-life in the later years, you have to use those muscles!
 
me: Yup, it's that Aunt Bee or Real Housewife of the O.C. thing all over again. You know what they say..."use it or lose it". I guess that's true of everything.

How did you end up getting into hiking, and bike riding? (Did you join a club? Was it suggested by a friend?) What's your current favorite sports or fitness activity?   

50 and fabulous Cindy:I hiked with friends a little but it was hard to get our schedules in sync and I knew I needed to do it on a more regular basis.  I went to www.meetup.com. There are so many different groups you can join there!  I found numerous hiking groups and joined one of them. On my first hike with that group I met a woman that ran her own hiking group with her husband. She gave me her email address and I've been hiking with their group ever since!  We hike 8-14 miles every Saturday morning! It takes up 1/2 of my Saturday but the results are worth it. My legs haven't been this firm since I was in my 20s!  As far as biking...that was a little more scary for me. I hadn't rode a bicycle in years but I started dating someone that was really into mountain biking so I gave it a try and I was surprised how much I liked it!  It's really hard to pick a favorite because I enjoy doing both of them! Since they both use different muscles I plan on continuing with both. 
 
me:That's awesome.I guess it's all about trying different things out, and finding something you really enjoy.Meetup is a very cool thing too, and it's everywhere! 

Speaking of enjoying an activity...Tell us about Fitness Bootcamp....(is it as scary as it sounds?!)   

50 and fabulous Cindy:No, it's not as scary as it sounds! They don't scream at you...they let you go at your own pace. There are people of all ages and fitness levels there.  I did a trial offer through Groupon.com. It's only for 1 month. It's rather pricey so I'm not sure if I will continue once my one-month trial is up.  It's Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 6:15 am.  Groupon.com and LivingSocial.com have some great deals for many things. I just saw one in my area for Zumba lessons so I may try that soon!  
 
me: The coupon sites are great things too! I love how you are trying things out in all sorts of different areas...that's how we find out of we really like an activity, after all.

Since I myself am just about to hit the big five-five, I know turning 50 beats the alternative, but...how do you really feel about entering your fifties? 
 
50 and fabulous Cindy:Tracey, you look amazing and you certainly don't look like you are about to turn 55! 
 (Thanks so much, but I feel the need to jump in here to also add that after 50 our eyesight seems to take a nose dive as Cindy has clearly demonstrated...) Honestly I wish I was in my 30s but I'm not. I think it's important to feel the best at whatever age you are.  The one thing I do like about this age is the wisdom that comes from all those years of life experience.  I would 't trade that for anything!
 
me: Hmmm, I am not so sure I feel like I am the wisest woman out there sometimes, seriously. I guess I am wiser (more wise?) than I was at 30 though, now that I think on it. What would you say is your best gotta-do-everyday beauty tip?  
 

50 and fabulous Cindy:I make sure I wash my face really well every night before I go to bed!  I actually wash and rinse my face 4 times to make sure I get all my make-up off.  If I miss just one night of doing this ritual I can tell a difference in my skin!   

me: Wow, four times? (I am now wondering if I am cleaning my face well enough.) It's a great tip, and so true. Okay, slight change of topic here, but I know you have lost weight in the past year, and you are looking great! How did you do it? What kind of advice do you have for other women out there wanting to get fit?    
50 and fabulous Cindy:I joined Weight Watchers and I love it!  Years ago, my doctor had told me that he has many patients trying to lose weight and the ones that lost the most and keep it off are the ones on Weight Watchers.  I've tried just about every diet out there and I really do think Weight Watchers is the best. It really teaches you how to eat for the rest of your life! It's so much more than a diet...I hate that word any way! I associate diet with starving! It's so much better to look at it as a way of life! I still allow myself to have treats because I really hate the feeling of being deprived. If I make the majority of my food healthy; lean meats, fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grains then I can have sweets (which are my weakness) every once in awhile. 
 
me: That sounds like a good, smart, livable plan. The idea of a diet just sets us up for defeat.

I have definite opinions on my next question, but I want your take on this first...Do you feel that being a single girl adds extra pressure to feeling the need to look your best, or do you think it's simply a girl thing?   

50 and fabulous Cindy:Oh, I think it adds a lot of extra pressure especially if you are out there dating! The competition is fierce on the online dating sites. I always feel like so much emphasis is put on how we as women look that it sometimes it makes me feel so inadequate. I try to focus on looking the best I can with what I have and be happy with that. Perfection will never be reached and I am what I am...a 50 year old woman and nothing I do will make me 30 again and I'm okay with that. After all, 30 year olds  have no clue how much more wisdom they will have when they are 50! 

me: I couldn't agree more. Being single in your 50's most certainly isn't for sissies...at least not in the dating realm...and Hollywood hasn't done us any favors either.On the flip side, who knew dating as a Gramma could be so much fun? Anything else you'd like to add Cindy?
 
50 and fabulous Cindy: I just would like to add,  if you are wanting to lose weight and firm up, don't focus so much on the end result you want to see in the mirror...have that in the back of your mind but more importantly, enjoy the process!  I can feel when I've lost just a couple pounds and it feels great!  I can feel my legs getting firmer every time I go hiking!  I guess what I'm trying to say is...Enjoy the journey, don't just focus on where you ultimately want to be. The amazing thing is you will feel and look better all along the way to your final result!

me: I totally agree. I don't even own a scale, because I get too focused on hitting a silly goal, and then end up depressing myself and heading for a bag of Oreos, instead of working on today,on now. Thanks so much Cindy, for taking the time to share with us.You make a great role model for the rest of us fifty-somethings!

Wow.

I don't know about you, but I am feeling so inspired this morning that I just might have to crack ol' Jillian outta her case and try getting my groove back with the 30 Day Shred....right after I go wash my face.
 

37 comments:

  1. What a wonderful, inspiring post! I just turned 53 in July. I took a >good< look in the mirror and saw Aunt Bea. I screamed a very loud "NO"!!!! I joined WW and have lost 7 lbs so far. I am NOT turning back! I started walking for exercise and am feeling better already.
    Thanks again, beautiful ladies for this boost of encouragement this morning!
    Now I'm headed out the door for my walk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was 55 in May. I read you post with interest and it made me tired! I am in a very different place than most of my peers. I am the mother of a five year old son and what little energy I have goes to keeping up with him and his activities! I barely have time to polish my nails! and barely the money to buy nail polish, kids cost a lot of money!I am widowed, so I am doing this all alone, and I don't have sitters to go get a mani/pedi, go to exercise, or anything else, for that matter. So I probably look more like Aunt Bea, and most of the time I am too tired to care! But i read this and I am a touch envious of your looks and your freedom. But then, you don't get sweet little boy hugs every day and wait in a car line after kindergarten to see that smiling little face excited about his day. So maybe I'm the winner after all, Aunt Bea body and all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracey ... thank you so must for this post!! You and Cindy are both an inspiration! I will be 51 in October and really need to get back into shape. I also have Jillian's 30 day shred ... what better time to start than today? Especially since September 1 is tomorrow ... a fresh new month of 30 days - perfect!! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun post from two of my very favorite bloggers! You both look fabulous!

    "What's age when you're eternal?" That's this 51 yr. old's motto and I'm stickin' with it!

    I have been on Dr. Joel Fuhrman's "Eat To Live" since January, in an attempt to get off my heavy-duty drugs that I take for Rheumatoid Arthritis. That hasn't happened yet, but I've lost 18 lbs., gone from a size 10 to a size 4, my sleep apnea is gone, other health issues are gone, my cholesterol numbers are perfect for the first time in two decades and my PMS is gone, too!!! My emotions are so much more even all the time....it's wonDERRful!

    So here's to being 50something!

    For Kathy up there, I'll pray for you! I was a widow with two small kids, but I was 29 at the time. I can only imagine what you're going through, since I chase a grandbaby around and it makes me tired. I've been a mom for 30 years and I still have a 15 and 17 yr. old at home. Mothering is the best and most noble occupation there is! Sarah was 90 when she had Isaac! May God strengthen you for the task.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post Tracey! It's all 100% true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Betsy! It certainly is a challenge! I have one other child who was 38 this month, and I have 2 grandchildren older than my son. My niece sent me a sweet note when I found out I was pregnant with Jonathan reminding me of Sarah! (And I would certainly appreciate your prayers :).
    As for being single at 55, I at this point don't see myself in the dating world, altho I ceratinly wouldn't mind a male companion. However, I don't move in circles where I meet very many single men my age, and most would not want to start all over with a small child...and Jonathan must come first. But then again, after giving birth at 50 I will "never say never" to anything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! Listening to all of you "young" ladies reminds me that the best is yet to come. You see, I'm going to be 78 this month and I still do not feel "old". Now my body is a little different but I still golf (better score some days than others) and I truly am enjoying myself. Each day is a lesson of some kind. I talked TO my dog Hobo all through the day which is a cover story for "talk to myself" and I laugh at my silliness. Laughter brings a happy heart. Our trip through life can be a blessing at any age. Just enjoy each coming day as tomorrow is even better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tracey, I so wished we lived closer to each other..I just know we would have so much fun! Thank you so much for interviewing me...I truly feel honored! Oh my arms...they aren't as toned as the appear...I'm working on that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! At 51, I'm in the club too. I have a great role model in my mom, who is 77 and looks 60 at the most. One of her secrets (besides good genes, thankfully ;) is just what you said -- staying active.
    Oh, and I want Cindy's upper arms too....
    :)
    ~Becca~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just came over from Cindy's. Not in my fifties yet but you both make it seem like fun, and I am surprised that either of you are! You both look great! I love her outfit in that pic too!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok I 'm going to get active soon as I finish my lunch and this candy bar LOL

    really i have been in this mode all summer of looking better and losing weight till i seen a lady yesterday whom i use to work with and she said oh Jan you are looking old please color your hair !!!!

    i have been letting the natural god given hair color come on out , however she has me rethinking my hair color. I just don't want to be at the beauty shop every 6 weeks and paying $90. for hair color

    there are some ladies who are beautiful with grey , or white hair Look at Paula deen

    because of my grey a hair dresser said I can't bleach my hair blond anymore?????any body can you tell me different?????

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think a lot of us are realizing we have to make the effort to keep from looking like Aunt Bea! I am amazed to think that my own dear grandmother must have been no older than I in my first memories of her, but she already had her white hair cropped short, was a bit portly and seemed as elderly as she did 30 years later. I loved her more than anything but I don;t want to age before my time. I'm making the effort. I think thee are many of us who are interested in this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for your post and interview! Women are beautiful, no matter what their age!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Curtains on My Tree: My hair is gray...I use a blonde out of the box from the drug store. You don't have to bleach it to be blonde!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm 57 and have noticed a considerable slow down and realize I need to get back in shape. I used to walk 5 miles a day before we moved 10 years ago. I need to get motivated. My gray hair doesn't bother me any more and I colored it for years. I tried blond at one point and it looked terrible on me. I just want to look the best I can for my age.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very interesting post! I'm beyond the 50's but wanted to say it was a wonderful time in my life, dating included. Be yourself, stay involved with people and activities and just know that you become more relaxed as you age. It scared me to turn 60 but hey, even better time!

    I'm so glad both of you shared and I've enjoyed reading the comments too.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  17. A P.S. here ~ for Betsy...if she returns. I'd love to know more about her diet/way of life now. Betsy, if you would be so kind as to email me, I'd appreciate it very much!

    Pat
    txfunladi@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  18. Why would you want to look like those celebrities in the photo at the top of your post? They look "hard". Your photo shows a very beautiful woman who does not have a trout pout or the wrinkles that come with dieting until the skeletal look is achieved.

    ReplyDelete
  19. what a great post and I'm so glad I found your blog through Cindy. I thought it was just me who had issues turning 50. I remember on my 50'th birthday I was totally miserable and never told anyone. I am about to be 53 in 3 wks time and I'm ok with it now, 'cause really do we have a choice? but I TOTALLY agree on the part where you say you have a choice to be on "old" 50 or a "younger" 50. I choose to be the latter and don't worry so much about the "number" anymore. I feel I should still be in my 30's 'cause from inside you don't change at all. EVen though when I look in the mirror there are definately more wrinkles.. and I try not to look with my glasses on as they are magnified to the point of horror..and my memory is shot..and I'm still going through menopause and will be soo glad when that is all over and done with....I thank God that I made it to this age and still have my dreams and a wonderful husband who still loves me no matter how I look. So life is good .. it's really what you make of it no matter how 'old' you are. take care, Maryann

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Tracey: I’ve enjoyed reading your thoughts as you approach age 55. I’m now looking BACK to that age. At age 38 I was single and raising a 10 year old. I faced many of the trials and tribulations you’ve encountered on your “singleness journey”.

    I love to eat and won’t exercise. I make no excuses. I’ve been overweight for many years and my doctor says I’m healthy except for my pesky arthritis. I’m comfortable with “me” and make the best of each day. Yes, there have been bumps and detours along the way but 'ya gotta keep movin forward'.

    Over the years, I dipped my chubby toes into the dating pond and, after many frogs, I found my 6’4” prince charming . . . we were married a month after my 59th birthday! (By the way, I’m 10 years older, something we didn’t discover until after weeks of dating.)

    Our tenth anniversary is approaching and next week I’ll turn 69. I used to think that number meant a person was “old” –-- but not now.

    We are too busy to get old . . . hobbies, a food garden, canning, pets, friends, family, online college courses for him, and an online business for me. And, later this year I will be launching a blog to chronicle my journey to become a collage artist!

    When I look in the mirror I see a woman who looks older than she feels on the inside – and I’m fine with it. To quote Judith Regan . . . the key to successful aging is to pay as little attention to it as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  21. BRAVO GIRLS!
    I'm honored to be part of YOUR 50 club...you both make the 50's look sooooo good! I love your blogs and your styles!!! I might not comment much but I am always following!
    As for my "50 story"....I was determined to arrive at 50 in the best shape of my life and thanks to weight loss surgery, walking, good genes, great friends and terrific support...I did just that....I lost 115 pounds! It's been a wonderful journey, it has changed my life and I could not be more thankful!
    Onward!
    Judi

    ReplyDelete
  22. Tracey I have been a Cindy blog follower for a few years now. I really enjoyed your interview with her. I love the add 2 to your age, I never would have thought to do that. I am a "little"
    older than you two and "NO" I don't look like Aunt Bea. LOL. I walk 3 miles every morning very fast. I will be 62 in Oct., on Halloween, my sis was born on Friday the 13th, I don't understand why mom quit having children. LOL.
    You both don't look like your in your 50's....
    You go girls!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'll be 60 on my next birthday and certainly hear you on the health and fitness issues. It's a battle for sure! My hope is to look my best by making good choices and through exercise. I abhor the look of trying to look younger than my age--so it's certainly a tightrope walk.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The key to looking younger is hair color, a bit shorter style (a good cut and color can take 10 years off your life), and knowing how to dress for one's body. Just because one is over 50 doesn't mean she has to wear Aunt Bea clothes....if you have a tummy, those new styles with the flowing tops hide a lot, if you're a little "hippy", but have a small waist, show off your curves. The Gap has the best tees and tanks that last through wash after wash, find a website with really cute, stylish clothes and spend a little on one or two things to update one's wardrobe. Don't be focused on "the number" - age is relative and attitude is everything. If you exude confidence, it's age defying.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I loved your interview with Cindy...I have followed her blog for several years and have written her several times. She has a way of making you feel as if you know her personally.

    I enjoyed your blog very much and will be back for a visit soon.

    Cindy in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this post. I am 53 and happy to be here. I was sad when i turned 50 and my therapist reminded me that I am lucky to be here. Many women don't make it. I had a health scare in my early 30's and would beg God to just let me see my son go to kindergarten. (In hindsight, not that serious, but at the time...........) Now my son is 25 and my second son is 19. I am still here. I am way wiser. I appreciate every day.

    I do not give in to my gray hair yet. It is my last vanity point. I am more confident. I am happier. I am more successful. I love and appreciate life more than ever.

    I hate to exercise. I have lost both of my parents in the last 5 years and when I am struggling with whether or not to move my body I think of them. I think of friends who have struggled with a disease and that is a motivator for me to get moving.

    I have several friends who are my age: We all forget why we walked into a room. We forget where we put our keys every day. One friend walked into my antique store and while looking for her keys realized she had left them in the car, in the ignition with the car running! I can't see. I use readers and need to go right to TRI focals.

    I appreciate every day............Nicki

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this article and it's so nice to meet you!! Cindy looks fantastic!!!
    XO
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm sorry to say that I make Aunt Bea look good!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for bringing this, Tracey. I've been with you and Cindy since 2007 and I think you are both amazing ladies. As a single women on the cusp of her 48th birthday, I totally get where you are coming from. We really are at that tipping point, I think. I know what direction I want to go in- I sure hope I do it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm not a fan of shorter hair over 50 or haircolor that can look harsh. Everyone deals with being over 50 differently I think. I have long hair and I'm letting it turn white. Different strokes for different folks I think. Also do not like flowy tops.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hurrah for GG's outlook! I'm 57...my goal is to be the best I can be at any age!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I just turned 51 and I have found this stage of life to be both wonderful and a true blessing. I do not look like I used to, I have a few lines, and the body is not cooperating like I would like it to, but, I have the blessing of being a grandmother, called GiGi which I LOVE. I dress in the things I love and no longer worry what anyone else thinks about my style. I wear my hair how I like, the jewelry I like, and while I am 20 lbs over my desired weight due to menopause, (I am working on that) I am very happy with my life. My mother died in May of this year and I had spent over 3 years caring for her with vascular dementia. I gave my all to my mom and I miss her so much. I lost my dad to Alzheimer's Disease four years ago and my mother in law one year ago. I lost my beloved dog and best friend of 15 years 3 years ago. With all this loss I can only say one thing...I would much rather live long and go through the inevitable changes than die young. I believe being 50 gives us as women so much freedom as we are not bound by the trends that so many young people are. We know who we are, what we want out of life and we are not intimidated by anyone to go get it. I am starting piano lessons in the next couple of weeks and I am SO EXCITED!!!! I graduated college at the ripe old age of 45 and I will continue learning, developing, growing, giving, inspiring, for all eternity. We are all a work in progress, and would I go back to my 30's? Maybe for a day. I wouldn't want to do it all over again. I am happy and satisfied in the here and now, and while I would like to erase some of the age that is showing up on my face and body, I am respecting it, acknowledging that it came from caring about my family, taking care of my parents and crying buckets of tears over losing them. So, I guess the lines were worth it. Cindy, you look absolutely wonderful! All you girls, embrace life, love life, love your family and friends, and don't be intimidated by our "youth obsessed" society.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Whoa. I'm so with you on this. I just turned 49 and I never used to look in a mirror except when I brushed my teeth in the morning...but lately? I'm looking in that darn mirror all the time and thinking, "What the heck is happening to my neck????" Sheesh. All the neck exercises do not seem to do a thing.

    It doesn't help that after 29 years of marriage I'm about to be single again. I'm trying to look my best without trying to look like my 21 year old daughter. I know I'll never look like "the housewives" but I'd like to look as good as I can. And just the thought of dating pretty much scares the tar out of me...and yet, I admit I'd like to find someone I could enjoy spending time with. I'm off to check out Cindy's new blog.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Isn't it funny how blog hopping works... I sent Cindy a Happy Birthday on Facebook which had me see her new blog which led me to the LOSE IT site she reccommended & then to YOU!!!! Thanks & I am plus 2 on you (for real) & not sure I want to plus 2 to be 59.... Hee Hee. I think your 50's ROCK!!! I wouldn't go back unless I could take the knowledge! Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  35. This was very inspiring and great information and links. Thanks for having Cindy over!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...